Gary Coleman is dead. And I didn't know whether to be sad or to cheer that he lived as long as he did. You see, he was told that he die before he was 16, then 20, then 25 and so on. At 42 Gary Coleman had defied the disease, the doctors and the odds.
But not life.
Gary Wayne Coleman was born with a kidney disease that stunted his growth and ravaged his body. Thank goodness it did not effect his mind because his was a comic talent that belied his age. Many comedians notably Johnny Carson said he had to be channeling the ghost of a comic genius.
Gary Coleman became tabloid fodder near the end of his life. All we heard about was bizarre behavior and his financial problems. But consider the strength of the man and the burdens heaped upon him and his resilient spirit.
- -He was born with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, which left him a little person.
- -He had two kidney transplants and
- -Had to undergo daily dialysis which leaves you weak and spent.
- -His parents stole all of his child star money,
- -He had to watch his costars succumb to drugs, porn and ultimately death in the case of Dana Plato.
- -He survived depression and two suicide attempts.
Job was cursed with one terrible affliction after another and did not renounce God. Gary Coleman was cursed and struggle and beat the odds time and time again.
After listening the the 911 recording of his wife, it seems that Gary never had anyone on his side.
I don't know many people who could have passed Job's test. I wonder how many of us could have passed Gary Coleman's.