a thousand words

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

TRAYVON MARTIN AND THE LIGHT


There is something in the Trayvon Martin case bigger than the death of an innocent boy, bigger than even the conspiracy that let his killer go free for 47 days.

The light is on again.  That mental radiance that illuminates the un-forgiven sin of our nation, the nuclear bomb of perceived racial inferiority, the subjugation of hearts and minds to the casual affliction of bias that permeates our culture.  For this, we all suffer without regard to race or color, culture or creed. 

I do not call for action, or prayers, nor do I ask for donations or pledges that are forgotten as soon as Facebook is clicked off.  I don't need to.  We all have skin in this game and no one can walk away from this after it becomes last week's "news-tainment" or a hyperlink at the bottom of an internet page.

I just ask for a moment to consider your place in the vastness of humaniy and know that we all make a difference-- if only we dare.  

Human beings have the greatest conviction of any species on the planet.  And Americans live in the nation with the most freedom and yet we abdicate that gift for the complacency of sheepish behavior.  Well, all I can say is, men eat sheep and make clothes of their skin.  We must stand against the cultural lies that give fuel to the Norman Wolfingers, Chris Lees and Judge Robert Zimmermans who in turn enable and protect the George Zimmermans to commit murder motivated by those same cultural lies.

I will not let the dead become a footnote to my humanity or the “snooze button” on the clock of my righteous indignation.

Trayvon is dead.

Zimmerman is arrested.

And I dare to challenge all the reasons why it happened.

I dare.

Copyright 2012

1 comment:

  1. Hello Mr. Hardwick,

    My name is Demetrius A. Greene. I am an aspiring actor from San Diego, CA. I am emailing you because I've recently started reading your blog, and I am greatly benefited by your honesty and commitment to addressing the cultural and political undertones of current events- in addition to your work as a writer, director, and philanthropist. I'll be honest and say that my first reaction to reading your blog was that I wanted to re-review your work, just to understand how an actor/writer/director of African-American descent, who takes pride in telling African-American stories, can make it in Hollywood. But I realized that our teachers just don't train us for that.

    So, instead I was truly hoping that I could pick your brain on a few topics. You see, I am an actor and writer, as well as a stage director, and graphic novelist. While I am currently developing projects in different mediums, and although I am currently seeking representation, my ultimate goal is to someday own an entertainment company.

    I respect your work, and the fact that you have carved out a name for yourself in the entertainment industry. I want to know if you would be willing to find time to correspond with me once or twice a month- in a Mentorship-like relationship, and share some of your knowledge of the inside workings of this industry. I know that this is a bit forward, but if you're open to it, I believe it could be a beneficial relationship. I'll tell you upfront that I won't ask you for references, contacts, or endorsements. I just really enjoy learning and growing from someone who has expertise to offer.

    Mr. Hardwick, I appreciate you taking the time to consider my request, and thank you for offering so much to young entertainers like myself who are hoping to establish themselves in our industry.

    Hoping to hear from you soon.

    God Bless,

    Demetrius Greene

    @dagreene85@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete