a thousand words

Saturday, July 11, 2009

THE FUCK YOU GENERATION

Notice how rude and impolite people are now? Just go to any service business and ask for help. The person working has an attitude as though they are pissed at you for supporting a business that gave them the job they hate.

Meanwhile, banks lie and steal money. Athletes use steroids; authors plagiarize and oh yeah, we were lied into a war that destabilized the entire world.

Everyone has a “get yours at all costs” mentality. I mean people were always competitive but now it seems that we will stop at nothing. And if you feel particularly trapped by your inability to have it all, you kill your wife and unborn baby and blame it on a black man.

There has been a major shift in American society. If the Baby Boomers and Gen-Xers are the “Me Generation.” Then we are living in the age of the Fuck You Generation. Go to school and learn? Fuck you. I want to be famous. Work hard and save money? Fuck you, I want it all now. Be courteous to people? Fuck you—well, just fuck you.

So what’s the cause of all of this, you say? Well, according to scholars, America is in its decline. But we believe that our reign will never end. All the while, our style of life is going out of style, other nations are out-producing us. And at home, we have turned away from scholarship, love, nobility, modesty courteousness and imagination.

Still not a believer? Well, let’s look at the indicators of any great society: its social and artistic icons. We’ve gone from: Muhammad Ali to Mike Tyson, All in The Family to The Simpsons, Walter Cronkite to Katie Couric, Janis Joplin to Britney Spears, Hank Aaron to Barry Bonds, 60 Minutes to American Idol, Stevie Wonder to R. Kelly and Ossie and Ruby to Chris and Rhianna.

I could go on but my head is hurting. And if you read that list and thought “Hey, I love American Idol.” You’re part of the problem.

So have we lost it or am I just old set in my ways and unable to see the brilliance of The Jonas Brothers? I think maybe there’s a pattern here. We are sliding and for the life of me I don’t know what to do about it.

By the way if you disagree with me, well, I think you know my response to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment